Opening: Library Assistant
Job opening: Library Assistant
The Platteville Public Library is accepting applications for a Library Assistant.
- Responsibilities include re-shelving library materials, keeping materials in the library collection neat and orderly, assisting patrons at service desks, and other support tasks as assigned. Alpha-numeric sorting skills, filing skills, and basic computer skills are necessary..
- The schedule includes evenings and weekends.
- Starting wage is $12.80 per hour, 10-15 hours per week.
- Applicants must submit a completed City of Platteville Employment Application, available at platteville.org/jobs.
- Applications accepted in person or via email at director@ plattevillepubliclibrary.org
- Review of applications will begin Friday, March 10, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled.
Position Description: Library Assistant
General Statement of Position
Under general supervision, performs clerical and other library work as required.
Examples of Work Performed
- Performs alpha-numeric sorting and filing.
- Arranges materials on book carts and re-shelves them in proper order.
- Shelf reads and straightens materials on the shelves or in the collection while shelving and in other assigned areas.
- Empties book drop and utilizes the library’s automated system to check-in materials that have been returned.
- Assists at the circulation desk as requested or as needed.
- Under supervision, processes and mends library materials.
- Answers the telephone and provides customer service to library customers of all ages within guidelines and policies.
- Operates the cash register to make change and accept payment
- Performs circulation desk procedures, such as checking materials in and out, creating library cards, collecting fines, placing holds, searching for library materials, resolving lost and overdue items, answering phone calls, etc.
- Assists with library programs and displays.
- Assists patrons with mechanical operations of library equipment.
- Performs light housekeeping.
- Performs other related work.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to understand and perform routine library procedures.
- Basic computer skills including using a mouse, Microsoft Office, Internet browsers, and scanners.
- Ability to operate office equipment such as photocopiers and printers.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and public.
- Ability to sort efficiently in alphabetic and number order, particularly with regard to decimal numbers.
- Ability to follow directions and to ask questions.
- Ability to perform moderately heavy physical work.
- Ability to maintain a regular work schedule.
- Positive attitude.
- Ability to learn new technology and effectively use it to perform assigned duties.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of library patron information.
- Ability to work independently, organize and prioritize work, respond to varied/changing work demands and make decisions as required.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to maintain and foster cooperative and courteous working relationships with the public, peers, and supervisors.
- Keyboarding and filing ability.
- Willingness to maintain skills in above-mentioned areas through active participation in appropriate continuing education activities.
- Working knowledge of English grammar and spelling.
- Working knowledge of library methods and procedures.
Tools and Equipment Used
- Book carts for transporting materials.
- Computer equipment, including scanner, keyboards, printers.
- Photocopier, microfilm/fiche reader/printer, public access computers, mending tools, DVD/compact disc cleaning machine.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Bending/twisting and reaching.
- Far vision at 20 feet or further; near vision at 20 inches or less.
- Fingering: keyboarding, writing, filing, sorting, shelving, and processing.
- Handling: processing, picking up, and shelving books.
- Lifting and carrying: 30 pounds or less.
- Pushing and pulling: objects weighing 300-400 pounds on wheels.
- Sitting, standing, walking, climbing, stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
- Talking and hearing; use of the telephone.
Experience and Qualifications
- Education equivalent to junior in high school.
- Eligible for a Child Labor permit, if required
- No experience required.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge.
- Ability to comprehend and follow instructions: effectively follow instructions from supervisor, verbally and in written form.
- Ability to deal with abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to interpret technical regulations and instructions.
- Communication Skills: effectively communicate ideas and information both in written and verbal form.
- Mathematical Ability: calculate basic arithmetic problems (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) without the aid of a calculator.
- Reading Ability: effectively read and understand information contained in memos, procedures manuals, emails, reports, etc.
- Time Management: set priorities in order to meet assignment deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Flexible work hours; frequent evening and weekend hours.
- Inside work environment.
- Exposure to dust.
Reports to: Circulation Lead
Employee is accountable to all applicable City of Platteville Policies and Procedures.