Computer Use & Internet Policy
Platteville Public Library offers free public internet access, wireless internet access, and computer access to all library users. Computer users must comply with all local, State, and Federal laws and this policy. By logging onto any of the library’s computers or wireless signal you agree to the terms of this acceptable use policy.
Requirements for Public Computer Use
- Public computer users must bring their own valid library card from a Southwest Wisconsin Library System member library.
- Computer users must have a PIN number. See Library staff to obtain a PIN.
- Computer users agree to abide by the Platteville Public Library Computer Use and Internet policy.
- Library users can request a guest pass to use public computers. Patrons with a library card at any SWLS library may be issued a guest pass as a courtesy, but frequent users will be asked to bring their library card.
Minors’ Public Computer Use
- Minors’ computer use is a joint responsibility of the user and the parent/legal guardian.
- Internet access at the Platteville Public Library is not monitored or restricted by staff.
Reserving a Computer
- All patrons may use the computers for a total of two sessions each day. Session length may be extended at staff discretion.
- Reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis.
Behavior on Public Computers
The internet is a dynamic, uncontrolled, and sometimes explicit information environment. Access, use, or dissemination of information via the internet in the Library is the responsibility of the user. The Platteville Public Library filters all internet computers and wireless signals available through the library.
Platteville Public Library Computer, Internet and Wireless Users Will Not
- Use anyone’s library card other than their own to gain computer access
- Send, receive or display any graphic materials depicting nudity and/or sexual acts that may be reasonably construed as obscene or pornographic by community standards
- Libel, slander, bully, or maliciously offend others
- Attempt to crash, degrade the performance of, or gain unauthorized access to the library’s computer system and networks
- Damage equipment, software, or data belonging to the library or other users
- Use the internet for any illegal or unethical purposes
Consequences for Unacceptable Computer Use
Computer or wireless use may be suspended or revoked at any time for unacceptable behavior including, but not limited to, violation of the above guidelines or any other library policy. Repeated violations will be documented in Incident reports that will be forwarded to the Library Director.
Consequences may include, but are not limited to:
- Verbal reminder of library policy
- Termination of computer use for the remainder of the day
- Suspension of computer use for any length of time
- Permanent revocation of computer use
Printing is available for public computer users.
- The Library cannot assure the integrity of data downloaded by users.
- The Library is not responsible for damage or corruption of computer users’ personal data, disks, or equipment.
- Wireless users are responsible for their own equipment and usage.
- Library staff cannot operate computers on behalf of library users.
- Library staff may aid patrons with Internet and computer use as time permits.
- Library staff cannot offer individual personal instruction.
- Formal instruction may be offered at the library at designated times.
Adopted by the Platteville Public Library Board of Trustees, May 1, 2009;
revised September 6, 2016;
revised November 6, 2018;
revised April 2, 2019;
revised October 11, 2022