How do I get a library card?
Library cards are free to all residents of Platteville and Wisconsin.
To sign up for a library card, bring in:
- A government-issued photo ID with your current address OR
- A government-issued photo ID and proof of your current address (examples: a bill, a piece of mail, lease) OR
- A government-issued photo ID with your current address and your UW-Platteville student ID (UWP students only).
Youth under 16 years of age will need to have a parent or legal guardian sign their application for a library card and agree to be responsible for all materials the child checks out.
If you already have a library card from another member library of the Southwest Wisconsin Library System, you can use that card at the Platteville Public Library. The Southwest Wisconsin Library System includes all public libraries in these five counties: Crawford, Grant, Iowa, Lafayette, and Richland.
If you lose your library card, replacement cards can be purchased for $1.
Your account at the Platteville Public Library
- See the items that you have checked out and their due dates.
- Renew items that you have checked out.
- See what items you have requested.
- See if you have any fines.
- Check if the library has your correct address, phone number, and email.
- You can access your account from our online catalog.
- Go to www.plattevillepubliclibrary.org
- Click on the “Catalog” link on the right hand side.
- Click on “Log in” in the top right corner of the catalog.
- In the “Log in” pop-up box, type in the 14-digit number from the back of your library card (no spaces).
- Type in your 4-digit PIN.
- Click the “submit” button.
- Visit the Platteville Public Library and ask at one of the desks to get your PIN.
- Make sure that you are logged in to the catalog.
- Click on “My account” in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on “items out” on the left side of the pop-up window. If you can’t see the “items out” option, try changing your screen view by using CTRL- to zoom out or CTRL+ to zoom in.
- Click on the “renew” link next to the items you want to renew.
- Your new due dates will be listed for all items that you were able to renew.
- The “renew all” button will renew all of your checked out items that are renewable.
- You may only renew an item once. If you have already renewed an item, you will not be able to renew it again.
- If someone else has requested the item you have checked out, you will not be able to renew it.
- If your fines are over $5.00, you will not be able to renew items from home.
- Art prints cannot be renewed.
- You can request items from our library or from any of the libraries the Southwest Wisconsin Library System.
- It will be easier to request an item if you log in to the catalog first.
- Search the catalog (link at plattevillepubliclibrary.org) and find an item that you would like to request.
- Click the “Place hold” button.
- If you would like to pick up your items at a different library, choose a library from the drop-down menu.
- If you would like to reserve a specific copy or volume, uncheck the “reserve any item” box and then check the box(es) next to the specific item(s) you want.
- Click the “Reserve” button.
If your item is currently available (i.e. not checked out) at the Platteville Public Library, it may appear as though your request was not submitted. If this happens, click “Cancel” to close the reserve window and check “Items on Hold” in “My Account” to make sure that your hold was successful.
- If you want to be notified by email when your item is ready for pickup, stop by the library to make sure that your email address is in your record.
- If we do not have your email address, you will be notified by phone when your item is ready.
- Your request may take at least one week or longer, depending on the item availability.
- If an item is new to another library, they may not make it available for requests until their patrons have had a chance to use it first.
- You may only have ten items requested at one time.
- Some items are part of special collections so you may not be able to request them from another library.
- Items in storage are not readily accessible so you may not be able to request them.
Remember to click on “log out” at the top right corner of the screen when you are finished.
Call the library at (608) 348-7441 ext. 2 or visit us at 65 S Elm St, Platteville WI