Application deadline: Friday, February 16, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
The Platteville Public Library is accepting applications for two part-time custodial positions.
Skills and responsibilities
The custodians are responsible for maintaining a clean, comfortable, and safe environment for library patrons. Duties include daily cleaning, disinfecting, sweeping, washing, vacuuming, dusting, polishing, emptying trash, etc. The ideal candidate will have experience performing janitorial services in a commercial setting. The library is seeking candidates who have a proven record of outstanding job performance and the ability to work independently while also being a team player.
Education: High school diploma or its equivalent required.
Starting wage: $13.26/hour. Work hours are negotiable.
Qualified persons should submit:
- Paper or electronic applications are accepted.
- Electronic applications should be emailed to email@example.com
- Paper applications are acceptable and should be delivered or mailed to Jessie Lee-Jones, Platteville Public Library, 225 W Main St, Platteville WI 53818.
Applications with resume will be accepted through February 16, 2018 at 5:00 pm.
Custodian Job Description (PDF)
Typical Responsibilities of Position
Under the supervision of the Library Director, the Custodian is responsible for maintaining a clean, comfortable, and safe environment for library patrons.
- Establishes and maintains schedule of routine janitorial and general maintenance work required to keep up appearance and safety of library facilities and grounds (public and office areas) and performs these custodial routines on a regular basis.
For example, but not limited to:
- vacuums carpets
- cleans and maintains furniture in public and staff areas
- cleans glass and counter areas
- dusts books shelves
- empties trash cans and hauls waste to dumpster
- shovels snow and de-ices walks
- straightens tables and chairs
- cleans and sanitize restrooms and changes supplies
- damp or dry mops
- assists staff on special decorating projects
- launder cleaning rags and dust mops
- use and maintain assigned equipment: vacuums, brooms, mops, carpet extractor
- replaces drinking fountain filters quarterly
- replaces batteries in automatic sinks and toilet flushers
- Works with Business Manager to order and maintain inventory of cleaning equipment, janitorial and other building supplies
- Collaborates with Library Director and Business Manager in regards to budgetary needs for buildings and grounds.
- Maintains comfortable interior temperatures for library staff and patrons utilizing programmable thermostats.
- Set up meeting rooms (table and chair arrangements) for scheduled events as needed.
- Responsible for maintaining confidential information in accordance with respective federal, state, and local laws.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, talk and hear.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to operate and use objects, tools and controls and to reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb up and down ladders, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to focus.
Experience and Qualifications
- High school diploma or its equivalent required.
- Demonstrates knowledge of skills and abilities in using equipment, materials and supplies used in building and grounds maintenance. Demonstrates knowledge and skills in the use of equipment and supplies necessary to do minor repairs. Some knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
- Ability to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedules. Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time. Ability to communicate orally and in writing. Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions. Ability to establish effective working relationships with library staff, supply and service personnel.
Inside 80%, Outside 20%. Inside work provides protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature change. Subject to change based on extenuating circumstances at the discretion of the Library Director.
Tools and Equipment Used
Vacuums, mops, brooms, hand tools, ladders, etc.
*The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.
Approved by the Platteville Public Library Board of Trustees, Monday, January 8, 2018.