Deadline to apply is April 27, 2018.
The Platteville Public Library is accepting applications for a Library Page position.
- Responsibilities include shelving/retrieving library materials and supporting library staff.
- The schedule includes at least two evenings per week and hours every other weekend.
- Starting wage is $7.25 per hour, up to 15 hours per week.
- Applications are available online or at the Platteville Public Library’s Circulation Desk.
- Deadline to apply is April 27, 2018 at 6:00 pm.
- Applications accepted in person or via email at email@example.com
Position Description: Library Page
General Statement of Position
Under supervision, this person will re-shelve library materials; maintain materials in the library collection in a neat and orderly fashion, and assists in other support tasks as assigned.
Duties / Examples of Work
- Performs alpha-numeric sorting and filing.
- Arranges materials on book carts and re-shelves them in proper order.
- Shelf reads and straightens materials on the shelves or in the collection while shelving and in other assigned areas.
- Empties book drop and utilizes the library’s automated system to “check in” materials that have been returned.
- Assists at the circulation desk as requested or as needed.
- Under supervision, prepares, repairs, or reconditions library materials.
- Answers the telephone and provides customer service to library customers of all ages within guidelines and policies.
- Operates the cash register to make change and accept payment for photocopies, used books, fines and fees.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to understand and perform routine library procedures.
- Basic computer skills including using a mouse, Microsoft Office, Internet browsers, and scanners.
- Ability to operate office equipment such as photocopiers and printers.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and public particularly children from 0-12.
- Ability to sort efficiently in alphabetic or number order.
- Mathematical ability to understand the Dewey Decimal System.
- Ability to follow directions and to ask questions if needed.
- Ability to perform moderately heavy physical work.
- Ability to maintain a regular work schedule.
- Positive attitude.
Tools and Equipment Used
- Book carts for transporting materials to proper areas for re-shelving.
- Disk cleaning machine to restore compact discs and DVDs.
- Paper cutter, scissors, and glue guns.
- “See and Listen” filmstrip/cassette player and Early Literacy Computer Station.
- Elevator to transport supplies to and from the lower level meeting room.
- Patron registration records.
- Patron circulation record.
- Patron fine and fee information.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Employee frequently walks, reaches, holds, talks, and uses repetitive movements. Makes occasional use of computer keyboard.
- Employee frequently pushes or pulls objects weighing 60-80 pounds on wheels. Must be able to frequently lift up to 10 pounds, climb stairs, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Employee occasionally may lift up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus.
Experience and Qualifications
- Education equivalent to junior in high school.
- Eligible for a Child Labor permit, if required
- No experience required.
Statement of Working Conditions:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, employee is occasionally exposed to dust.
Reports to: Outreach Librarian, Library Director
Supervision Exercised: None
Other: Employee is accountable to all applicable City of Platteville Polices and Procedures and the Platteville Emergency Medical Services Policy and Procedure Manual.