The Platteville Public Library is accepting applications for a Library Assistant – Circulation Services.
The library is seeking someone with demonstrated clerical, technical and customer service skills. This person will assist Circulation Services staff with checking materials in and out, collecting fines, placing holds, making phone calls, etc. Other responsibilities include children’s and reference desk back-up, processing of new materials, and withdrawal of weeded items from the collection. Work includes some evenings and weekends in rotation. Full job description is available below.
Basic computer skills are necessary; a working knowledge of the Dewey Decimal system is preferred. Previous library experience is desirable.
High school or equivalent degree.
$10.82 – $12.67/hour, not to exceed 20 hours per week.
Work includes some evenings and weekends in rotation.
Qualified persons should submit
- Current resume
- Completed City of Platteville Employment Application, available at platteville.org/jobs.
Electronic applications are encouraged and should be sent to email@example.com.
Paper applications are acceptable and should be sent to
Platteville Public Library
225 W Main St
Platteville, WI 53818
Open until filled. Applications will begin being reviewed on Monday, October 21, 2019.
The City of Platteville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Description: Library Assistant (PDF version)
Position Classification: Non-Exempt (hourly)
Typical Responsibilities of Position:
Under general supervision, performs clerical and other library work as required.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Performs circulation desk procedures, such as checking materials in and out, registering patrons, collecting fines, placing holds, searching for holds, lost and overdue items, phone calls, missing materials, etc.
- Checks in deliveries of interlibrary and intralibrary loan materials.
- Does keyboarding and filing.
- Sorts and routes mail and accepts deliveries.
- Assists with library programs and displays.
- Does bibliographic checking.
- Processes new materials and withdraws materials to be weeded from the collection.
- Assists patrons with mechanical operations of library equipment.
- Answers directional questions and assists patrons of all ages when needed.
- Shelves library materials.
- Maintains inventory of library, circulation, printer, mending and processing supplies and routinely orders items as needed or requested.
- Performs light housekeeping.
- Performs other related work.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to learn pertinent computer programs (or software) and to effectively use them to perform assigned duties.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from patrons.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of library patron information.
- Ability to follow detailed directions.
- Ability to operate library business machines properly.
- Ability to work independently, organize and prioritize work, respond to varied/changing work demands and make decisions as required.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to maintain and foster cooperative and courteous working relationship with the public, peers and supervisors.
- Keyboarding and filing ability.
- Willingness to maintain skills in above-mentioned areas through active participation in appropriate continuing education activities.
- Working knowledge of English grammar and spelling.
- Working knowledge of library methods and procedures.
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Book carts for transporting materials to proper areas for re-shelving.
- Circulation computer equipment, including scanner, keyboards, printers.
- Photocopier, microfilm/fiche reader/printer, public access computers, “See and Listen” filmstrip/cassette player, mending tools, DVD/compact disc cleaning machine.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Bending/twisting and reaching.
- Far vision at 20 feet or further; near vision at 20 inches or less.
- Fingering: keyboarding, writing, filing, sorting, shelving and processing.
- Handling: processing, picking up and shelving books.
- Lifting and carrying: 50 pounds or less.
- Mobility: travel to meetings outside library.
- Pushing and pulling: objects weighing 300-400 pounds on wheels.
- Sitting, standing, walking, climbing, stooping, kneeling and crouching.
- Talking and hearing; use of the telephone.
Experience and Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent, as demonstrated by prior work experience or documented accomplishments.
- Keyboarding and general office experience.
- Some previous library experience is desirable.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge.
- Ability to comprehend and follow instructions: effectively follow instructions from supervisor, verbally and in written form.
- Ability to deal with abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to interpret technical regulations and instructions.
- Communication Skills: effectively communicate ideas and information both in written and verbal form.
- Mathematical Ability: calculate basic arithmetic problems (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) without the aid of a calculator.
- Reading Ability: effectively read and understand information contained in memos, procedures manuals, emails, reports, etc.
- Time Management: set priorities in order to meet assignment deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Flexible work hours; frequent evening and weekend hours.
- Inside work environment.
- Exposure to dust.
Reports to: Circulation Lead
Supervision Exercised: In the absence of the Circulation Lead, may delegate tasks to Library Pages.
Other: Employee is accountable to all applicable City of Platteville Policies and Procedures and the Platteville Emergency Medical Services Policy and Procedure Manual.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check. Job-related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or logical assignment to the position.
The position description does not constitute an agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Salary Range based
$10.82 – $12.67//hr.
Approved by the Platteville Library Board of Trustees at their regular monthly meeting, August 4, 2009
Reviewed and revised August 2, 2016.